Thursday, March 27, 2008

Elegy on a Fred

Dear, dear readers, today is a very dark day in my life. Today, the last of my Freds is dead. All my Freds were loyal, loving, and always smiling. They enriched my life in immeasurable ways. For a while, Mama was suturing up my Freds when they were injured, but eventually it was too much to keep up with, and I had to put them out of their misery. Here's a photo of me and SuperFred in happier times...So, first SuperFred, who was a Puppy Kindergarten graduation gift from Mama, and had two open-fluff surgeries, finally succumbed. Then, just tonight, the original Fred, the first Fred I ever had, given to me as a Festivus gift from my best pal Winston, sang his swan song. Mom captured the drama of the moment...
Yes, that's Fred's guts spilled out all over the couch. It wasn't pretty, but I'm glad I was there for his final moments.

The problem now is that I've always had a backup Fred, so when one couldn't hang on any longer, another was waiting in the wings. I'm not sure what I'll do now, it will be a long and lonely night...

No comments: